The free COVID-19 antigen tests you received in the mail could be poisonous.
That's according to Poison Control officials, who say the extraction vial included in most of the kits contains a preservative agent that could be harmful if ingested. The chemical, sodium azide, can cause low blood pressure, dizziness, headache and heart palpitations if swallowed, officials say. In extreme cases, sodium azide poisoning could lead to seizures, loss of consciousness and death, the agency reports.
The preservative isn't meant to be ingested. However, since the vials resemble small squeeze bottles or eye droppers, Poison Control officials are warning people to make sure they don't get them mixed up with their similar-looking counterparts.
photo: getty images