How long can we continue this lucky streak? Will this year bring the big one....maybe a FEW big ones? NOAA says chances are good that we will see two to four major hurricanes this season, which ends on November 30th.
Until this year, I'd not seriously considered compiling a hurricane kit. But this year, I'm going to make one.
Ready.gov recommends the following items.
1. Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation.
2. Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food.
3. Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both.
4. Flashlight and extra batteriesFirst aid kit.
5. Whistle to signal for help.
6. Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place.
7. Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation.
8. Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities.
9. Manual can opener for food.
10. Local maps.
11. Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger