You may have missed this little bit of irony during the big game: There was a Super Bowl ad this year for "Avocados from Mexico," where a bunch of Romans were tailgating outside the Colosseum. Andy Richter played Caesar. (Here's the ad.)
But right before the game, the U.S. government BANNED Mexican avocado imports.
Mexican drug cartels have been trying to extort avocado growers, and a U.S. food inspector got a threatening message on his phone, possibly a death threat. So that's what prompted the ban, which is only temporary. But even a short-term ban could cause the price of avocados to go way up.
About 80% of the avocados we eat come from Mexico. The other 20% are grown in California. Back in 2019, one expert claimed the U.S. would run out of avocados in THREE WEEKS if imports from Mexico suddenly stopped. And at the time, Politico rated that claim as "mostly true." So stay tuned if you're an avocado fan.
Article Pic: Getty Images