Man Died From Eating Too Much Black Licorice


A 54-year-old Massachusetts man died after eating too much black licorice. According to doctors, the man ate a bag and a half of black licorice every day for a few weeks, and it caused his heart to stop.

Glycyrrhizic acid, which is found in black licorice and many other foods and dietary supplements containing licorice root extract, can cause dangerously low potassium and imbalances in the body's electrolytes.

Cardiologist Dr. Neel Butala, who described the case in the New England Journal of Medicine, said, "Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit."

The U.S Food and Drug Administration warns that eating as little as two ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could cause a heart rhythm problem, especially for people over age 40.

Source: Associated Press

Article Thumbnail Pic: Getty Images