Scientists say the so-called 5 second rule for dropped food is OK. A survey of 2,000 people discovered 79% admit eating food that has fallen on the floor. And while we hoped this was a safe practice, science has indicated it almost always is. Aston University Professor and germ expert Anthony Hilton says eating food that was on the floor for a few moments is never entirely risk free. Food covered in visible dirt shouldn't be eaten.
But as long as it's not obviously contaminated, science shows food is not unlikely to have picked up harmful bacteria.
Photo: anthilton Twitter